Chania is a city of unique beauty, filled with an abundance of fragrant flowers, and boasting a rich cultural heritage. Ancient and modern monuments, the Venician Harbour and the Old Town, colourful neighbourhoods, a traditional lifestyle and the friendly inhabitants warmly invite you on a step by step journey to become acquainted with the city, promising you unforgettable moments.
The Archaeological Museum of Chania is located in the old city center, in Halidon Street. It is housed in the Venetian church, dedicated to St. Francis, the Saint of the Franciscan monks, a very important monument of the city.
The collection is divided into two parts: In the eastern part of the building, you will see findings from the Neolithic Age up to Late Minoan period, while in the west side, there are findings from the Geometric period up to Roman times.
Pottery, lapidary, seal engraving, sculpture, metallurgy, gold jewelry and coins are presented in chronological order. Very interesting are, also, the mosaic floors of the Roman period (second-third century AD), presenting scenes from the Dionysian cycle and episodes of the myth of Poseidon and the nymph Amymone.
The famous lagoon of Balos is located approximately 56km northwest of Chania and 17km northwest of Kissamos, formed between the Cape Gramvousa and the small Cape Tigani and below the range of Platiskinos. Balos is surely the mostly photographed beach in Crete, a very favorite subject of all tourist guides for Greece.
Balos is famous for its turquoise waters, the wild natural beauty and the beautiful exotic scenery.
The Byzantine and post-Byzantine collection of Chania is housed in the church of San Salvatore, inside the Old Town. The venetian church was built by Frangiskan monks in the 15th century A.D. This Byzantine Museum co0ncentrtes a large collection of items items from Byzantine, post-Byzantine and Venetian times that come from the excavated sites in the wider region of Chania as well as donations.
The beach of Chrissi Akti is located in the Municipal Unit of Nea Kydonia, only a few meters east of Agii Apostoli beach and 2,5 km west of Chania. It has been awarded Blue Flag and its name results from the golden sand of the beach. It constitutes an attraction for thousands of visitors every year, who visit this beach in order to swim in the crystal clear water that is not influenced by meltemi wind. The length of the beach is 500m. It is well organized, including sunbeds, umbrellas and changing room, as well as lifeguard. The beach is ideal for families with children because of the fine sand, the shallow water and the well organized playground.
Elafonisi is an island located close to the southwestern corner of the Mediterranean island of Crete, of which it is administratively a part, in the regional unit of Chania. When the weather is fine it is possible to walk to the island through the shallow water. The island is a protected nature reserve.
Chania’s historic importance stemmed from its location as a port, and still today, the deep, curving harbor, which gained its present appearance under the Venetians in the 14th century, is its main tourist attraction. Filled with wooden fishing boats and ringed by a promenade lined with seafood eateries and cafés, it buzzes with visitors in summer, and is totally enchanting by night. To the east of the old harbor, note the mosque, erected by the Ottoman Turks after they took Chania in 1645. Beyond the mosque, stand the arsenals, where the Venetians repaired their galleys, and a yachting marina. This entire stretch of coast is protected by a breakwater, and on its tip stands a lighthouse – it was designed by an Egyptian architect in 1839 and is strangely reminiscent of a minaret.
The Maritime Museum of Crete in Chania: The Maritime Museum of Crete is housed at the Venetian Firka fortress, placed at the entrance of the old harbour in Chania. This location has a historical importance, because on December, 1st, 1913, the Greek flag was raised there and signaled the unification of Crete with the Greek state. The initial idea behind the museum was to build a place that would depict the Greek naval tradition and especially the naval history of Crete.
The Public Garden of Chania hosts many types of trees, shrubs, fruit-bearing and ornamental plants, as well as a small zoo with animals from Cretan fauna. On its huge premises you will also find the public children’s library, the public cinema and a municipal cafe.